One of the most popular routers for private and corporate networks is ATT devices. Known for their high quality and exceptionally powerful features, these routers have gained popularity over the years among users all over the world. The necessity of a stable internet connection at home is undeniable today and this is made possible by the advancement in wireless technology.
In the present situation all over the world, internet service has played a vital role in normalizing our lifestyle. This is where the importance of quality devices and internet service lies. The ATT U-verse modem comes with a built-in router so you can set up the wireless connection and get the service on multiple devices.
Once you get the router, usually the ATT representative will do the initial setup process. However, knowing the technicalities can be handy in the near future for many reasons. from sorting out minor technical glitches to customizing the network settings- you can do all of it through the ATT router setup. If you are wondering how to connect a router to an ATT Uverse gateway, read on to find out. Besides managing the network settings, we also have extensive steps for updating, and changing the password as well as resetting the router.
Also Read : Fiber Optic Network Switch
How To Connect A Router To ATT Uverse Gateway?
You may ask why it is necessary to connect your router with the AT&T Uverse Gateway in the first place when your AT&T is already equipped with an inbuilt router. The answer is simple, the inbuilt router supplies only 802.11N 2.4 GHz which is not enough to stream any videos. So, the best solution to this problem is connecting your router to AT&T. But before you start the setup process, there are a few things you must ensure so that the setup is not interrupted. Here are a few factors you should check first:
- The default IP address you are using should be correct. There should not be extra space or characters. Furthermore, the IP address should be entered in the address bar of your browser and not the search bar. Last but not the least, if you are using the SSID and specific password of the device, enter them correctly.
- The browser of your choice should be updated to the latest version available so that there are no incompatibility issues. This is usually not a problem unless your browser is way too backdated. The most recommended browsers for the setup are Apple Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer.
- You must connect the router to the device with the same internet service which is trying to set up for wireless connectivity. Using a different network means the router gateway will not open.
- Lastly, check your power supply and ethernet cables for any hardware problems so that the connection does not get disrupted midway.
By following some simple steps, you can easily set up your router with the AT&T U-verse.
- First and foremost, connect your router Ethernet cable with the WAN port and run it till the LAN port of the AT&T U-verse router.
- The next task will be finding the right IP address of your U-verse gateway. Navigate through the U-verse gateway interface and search for the IP address. Finding the correct IP address is very important as it is the key to accessing your U-verse gateway.
- Once you have found the right IP address, open the browser from your laptop or computer. Make sure that the browser you are using should be upgraded to its latest version, it is best to use a well-known browser like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Enter the IP address in the address box of your browser and press enter. You will be directed to a new page.
- You will be asked to enter your login credentials like the password and username, enter the correct information to get access to your U-verse gateway.
- Once you have successfully logged in go to the advanced setting option and also search for the PPP location. Navigate through the advanced settings and select the bridge mode option. Putting your router in bridge mode you can connect both the routers and it will help in forwarding network connection to the router.
- The next step is to set up the router with AT&T U- verse gateway. As you have already connected the Ethernet cable from the WAN port of the router to the LAN port of the U-verse in the first step the next job will be connecting the Ethernet cable with the laptop. Connect the cable to the Ethernet port and then with the network card of your computer or laptop.
- Now, enter the IP address of the router admin page, where you will find the setup wizard. Choose the type of internet connection from the setup wizard and select the PPPoE option.
- You will be asked for your U-verse details like the password and username. Enter these credentials correctly and save the details. Finally, after this step, you will find your router connected with the AT&T U-verse gateway.
If you follow these steps properly you can successfully connect your router to the AT&T U-verse Gateway. Do note, that the default username remains the same and you can update the password from time to time. Also, any troubleshooting is possible through this gateway so you may have to frequently log in as and when needed. Here are a few troubles which users usually complain about along with the possible solutions:
- Being Unable To Connect The Devices: Even after the setup is complete, many users face trouble while trying to connect certain devices. Make sure all the internet settings are correct and compatible when such trouble arises. If you are unsure of a certain setting, then it is best to consult the ATT professional or follow the router’s manual closely.
- Ethernet Connectivity Troubles: As you follow the steps for how to connect to an att Uverse router, common trouble arises due to the ethernet cable. If you are facing connectivity trouble, try using a different cable and check if the trouble persists. In case it gets sorted by using another cable, it is indicative that your ethernet was defective. However, if the trouble persists, it indicates a problem with the ethernet port. Fix the port first or use a different one if available to get rid of such issues.
- Slow Connection Or Dysconnectivity: This can happen due to a local internet service outage and waiting out till it is sorted by the ISP is the only option. However, when there is no such trouble and yet the internet is too slow, this can also indicate there are too many devices actively connected to the service at the same time.
Removing a few devices or limiting the number of client devices being used at a time can sort the trouble. Try refreshing the router as well by turning it off and leaving it idle for a few minutes before turning it on again. During this time, disconnect the power supply as well. This also sorts the trouble in some cases. In other words, this is rebooting your device so that the memory is refreshed.
In the next section, we will help you regarding password setup and updating which is the basic step to protect your network from unauthorized login. Your device is also protected against hacking when you know how to update the password from time to time.
Changing And Resetting The ATT U-verse Password:
The password is the basic step towards securing your network from hacking. The default password is vulnerable to hacking since it is universal which is why it is strongly advised to update your password right after you complete the setup process. The following are the steps to do so:
- Login to the web portal of the router using the default password and username. Do note, the default username is fixed and remains the same for all routers. You can only update the password.
- Once you log in, from the top taskbar or the left-hand side column, open the wireless settings menu.
- Within this menu, there are several sub-categories. You must find and open the options to change admin password or similar.
- Once you click on it, a new page will open where you need to enter the current password, new password and its confirmation in the respective fields.
- Make sure you choose an unpredictable password which is a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers and symbols. This will make it difficult for hackers to guess it in the first place.
- Once you have done the update, click on apply and save the changes.
Do note, you have to manually connect all your devices again after you have changed the password which remembered the Wi-Fi network. In case you have forgotten the last password which was set, the only option left through the web portal is factory resetting the device and then setting up the password again. This is easily done by following the steps shared below:
- The red reset button is there either on the back of the router or below it. Using any sharp point, press and hold it down for 15 seconds till all the LED goes out.
- Turn off the power supply and keep it idle for a couple of minutes.
- Turn on the power again and then press and hold the button till all the lights start to blink.
- Give the router some time till all the lights have stopped blinking and are solid.
- Now you can start the setup process for the network connection, followed by the password changing steps.
- Do note, all the old devices have to be reconnected after the factory reset since the device goes back to its default settings.
Also Read : Router Internet Light Orange
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is AT&T U-verse used for?
AT&T serves their customers with a TV having cable setup with the help of an internet connection that is available through the fibre or coaxial cables.
- How do I connect to my ATT Uverse router?
Type the IP address for your AT&T U-verse account and press enter. You will be directed to the login page where all your login credentials will be asked. Enter the correct data to get access to the main page.
- What routers are compatible with AT&T U-verse?
Routers compatible with the U-verse are.
- Linksys Max-Stream AC4000.
- Netgear Nighthawk R7000
- Google Nest Mesh Wi-Fi Router
- TP-Link Deco S4 Mesh Wi-Fi Router
- How can I speed up my ATT U-verse Internet?
There are several ways to speed up your U-verse internet.
- Reboot your computer
- Clear all cache and junk files
- Use Self Support Tool of AT&T
- Can I cancel the U-verse and keep the Internet?
Yes, you can choose to use the internet exclusively. In that case, call up the billing department and ask them to disconnect the TV service. They can do it from their end and you will be free to use the internet only and don’t have to pay for your TV service anymore.
- Is an ATT U-verse modem also a router?
Yes, it provides both the services of a router and an able modem. So, you won’t need to rent a cable modem as the router provides cable internet plans.
Also Read : MagicJack Wireless Router
As you notice now, how to enable UPnP on an ATT router is quite simple and managing the router is much easier. If you are new to these techniques, rest assured that they can be mastered quickly. The ATT U-verse routers are some of the most popular devices because of their user-friendly features.
By mastering the setup process, you can tackle any issues like internet disconnection at odd hours quickly without professional help. Thus, enjoying uninterrupted and high-speed internet is possible at the comfort of your home without relying on anyone else. Now that you know how to manage your ATT U-verse routers, you can fix any trouble quickly and effectively and get maximum utility from your device.